Who are we?
Your Story Disability Legal Support is a free national service.
- Give information and legal advice to people about safely sharing their story with the Disability Royal Commission.
- Are independent and separate from the Disability Royal Commission and will only share your information if you give us consent.
- Support people with disability, their families, carers, supporters and advocates and only give legal advice about individual matters.
- We are funded by the Australian Government through National Legal Aid and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal services
- We deliver our service through Legal Aid Commissions and community-controlled Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander legal services in each state and territory.
- Have staff across Australia.
- Have a wide range of accessible resources to empower people with the information they need to safely share their story.
- Do not give legal advice to organisations (e.g. disability service providers, non-government organisations and residential facilities). But, we do offer resources for organisations and professionals who are supporting individuals to share their story with the Disability Royal Commission.
Our priority is to support and empower all people with disability (including people engaging on behalf of people with disability) to share their story safely with the Disability Royal Commission.
Some groups can be at a higher risk of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation and/or may face greater barriers to access our service, in particular those who are:
- First Nations people
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- LGBTIQA+ people
- Woman and girls
- Children and young people
- People living in specific locations for example:
- prisons and detention centres
- residential settings, such as group homes, boarding houses and large residential centres
- rural and remote communities.
Your Story is looking at ways to improve how we promote and deliver our services to these groups. Contact us if you have any ideas.
Find out more